It happened again. The drains are clogged. The problem we have is that our drains are all connected - kitchen, bathroom sink, bathroom drain... so if any given one gets clogged down go all. To cut a long story short we have to find an eco-friendly way to unclog our drains because let's face it - even though there is a great number of lye-based drain cleaners, these toxic products can damage not only the pipes and our lungs but will also add to the amount of toxic chemicals already floating in the ocean.
|Photo by Attila Acs|
I found a very simple recipe on Green Living Ideas, which turned out to be the most effective solution ever! If you have followed the Kanelstrand blog long enough you wouldn't be surprised to see baking soda and vinegar in the recipe!
Baking soda and vinegar are natural, non-toxic ingredients posing no health dangers while unclogging drains. They are preferable to the sodium hydroxide, commonly known as lye, found in most drain cleaners.
When baking soda (base) is combined with vinegar (acid), they form carbon dioxide and sodium acetate. This presents as the bubbles scrubbing the drain’s insides. These natural, non-toxic ingredients get flushed further down ensuring a clog-free drain.
Now, on to the actual drain cleaner.
- 2 cups baking soda
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain, making sure that it makes it down the drain.
- Pour 2 cups of boiling water down the drain. The baking soda mixed with boiling water will dissolve the sludge and gunk in the pipe.
- After a few minutes pour the second cup of baking soda then add 1 cup of white vinegar and plug the drain immediately. There will be foaming and bubbles and you will hear some sizzling from the drain.
- When things get calmer, add the remaining boiling water down the drain.
- Repeat this process if necessary.
If the drain remains clogged, read more on Green Living Ideas.
A monthly treatment helps prevent future clogs. Pour a cup of baking soda down the drains followed by boiling water.
How have you been dealing with clogged drains?