I've been spending much of my time lately baking (because I'm a baking addict but don't tell anyone) and experimenting with tastes and textures. I've been baking so much actually, that I thought of starting a separate Kanelstrand blog to journal my experiments but I doubt I would be able to keep up with both blogs, so I hope you're up for some sweet or salty healthy baking from time to time.
Today, I'm presenting whole wheat apple muffins that are very easy to make. I found the recipe on The Goodie Plate a couple of hours before a friend was about to come on a visit and so I set off preparing them.
In any other situation I would have tried to turn them into vegan whole wheat muffins but this time I decided to stick to the original recipe. Well, sticking to one is very figurative in my case because I never am able to... but I guess it's the same with you if you love to bake and add your personal touch.
So here goes the recipe with slight adjustments:
Whole Wheat Apple Muffins
makes 12 muffins
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
2 apples, diced
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp soft butter
1 tsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp diced walnuts
1. In a large bowl beat the egg with the granulated and the brown sugar.
2. Add the melted butter and mix well.
3. Add the baking soda to the yogurt and add the mixture to the egg.
4. In another bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder, then add to the wet mixture. Mix just until the flour gets incorporated. Do not over mix.
5. Add the diced apples to the batter and mix until you incorporate them.
6. Oil your muffin tin and pour the batter.
7. To make the sprinkle just mix all the ingredients and sprinkle on top before baking.
8. Bake at 350° F (180° C) for about 30 min until they become golden brown and an inserted wooden skewer comes out clean.
Remove them from the hot tin and place them on a plate. Let them cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
What's your favorite apple muffin recipe?