So, when last night I took a dozen of these bread rolls to a friend's party, everyone quickly forgot their reasons for being on a diet and the tiny fluffy rolls were the first to disappear from the table.
For this recipe I use equal parts whole wheat and white flour but if you prefer you can make it only with white flour of course.
Onion and Olives Vegan Bread Rolls
makes 8 medium size or 16 small size rolls
- 250 g whole wheat flour
- 250 g white flour
- 250 ml lukewarm water
- dry yeast (for 500 g flour)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced black olives
- 1 tsp oregano
- cumin seeds for decoration
1. Place the yeast, sugar and 100 ml lukewarm water in a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. Let rise for about 15 minutes.
2. Sauté the onions in olive oil until golden brown and add a pinch of salt. Let cool.
3. In a medium-sized bowl combine both flours, oregano and salt.
4. In a large bowl pour the yeast mixture, the rest of the water and 1 tbsp olive oil.
5. Carefully start adding the flour and mix with a wooden spoon.
6. Stir in onion, olives and remaining flour (a bit at a time) until a soft dough forms.
7. On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes) adding more flour to prevent sticking.
8. Clean and lightly oil your mixing bowl and put the dough back into it. Cover with a damp tea towel or lightly oiled cling film and set it aside to prove. This gives the yeast time to work. Let prove for about 1 - 1.5 hr or the dough is double in size.
9. Divide dough into 8/16 equal pieces and form balls.
10. Place rolls on prepared baking sheet, sprinkle with cumin seeds and cover with damp towel.
11. Allow 1 hour for rolls to double in size.
12. Preheat oven to 180°C.
13. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
And that's it. Can you smell them already?
What is your favorite bread rolls recipe? Share it in the comments for everyone to try.